Google News and Updates
- The Take a snapshot feature is back, sort of. Check out Alice’s Webcam Snapshot
- Images get drop shadow and reflection in Slides and Drawings
- Issues with new insert menu
- Lost webcam
- Lost clip art – use explore
- New Google Maps coming
What does AI/voice assistant do now? What is machine learning?
- Gathers lots of data, lots of queries, into a huge data set
- Makes predictions based on that data
- The more data it gets, the smarter it is
- Google Assistant: answers your questions via text or voice, gives you briefings with data you request (weather, time, calendar, news, etc.). Adds things to your Google Keep, calendar, etc. Plays games and asks you trivia questions.
- Teachable Machine: Explore how machine learning works. Teach a machine using your camera – live in the browser, no coding required. It learns by training and running neural nets right in the browser. Teach students about machine learning.
- Quick, Draw!: Uses machine learning to learn what you’re drawing.
- Autodraw: Draw a picture and Autodraw converts it into clipart created by artists.
- Mystery Animal: A Voice Experiment, it chooses an animal and plays 20 questions for you to guess what it is.
- Story Speaker: Create a choose your own adventure-style story in Google Docs. It’s like you’re coding/creating an AI game run by Google Assistant.
- Quill Connect: Uses machine learning to help students combine sentences. Aligned with curriculum standards for second through seventh grades.
How can AI/voice assistant help us right now?
- Answering questions
- what is the weather for tomorrow?
- what is the capital of Alaska?
- what is 37 times 414?
- tell me a riddle.
- Tell me something interesting.
- set a ten-minute timer.
- Adding to notes for later
- Keeping us from doing repetitive stuff
What’s the future of AI/voice assistant in the classroom?
- Setting expectations in the classroom
- Let them play and understand what it is capable of but set meaningful expectations on how it will be used for learning, not just telling jokes.
- Rotate the use a job/role for the class – AI Leader of the Day.
Google Teacher Tribe Mailbag
Thanks for the Apple Podcasts Reviews!
Julie Cobb (E2Cobb) – Matt and Kasey make my Monday morning commute great! I learn something every week that I can immediately share with the teachers I support. Caution: Don’t listen at the gym if you are prone to shouting “amen” or “wow” when the knowledge bombs start dropping!
— Karen McKenna (@mrskarenmckenna) November 10, 2017
Baby’s First Video Editor from Joshua Howard: http://www.joshchoward.com/2017/11/babys-first-video-editor-google-slides.html
On The Blogs
Ready to Become a Google Certified Trainer?
Do you want to travel and help other teachers learn how to use G Suite in their classroom? Do you want to get your foot in the door as a consultant, trainer, or present at national conferences? Want to make a little extra cash in summer training teachers?
The VIP trainer course opens twice yearly (May and December) and will re-open for enrollment on November 10, 2017, and close on November 27, 2017.
This is the e-course you have been waiting for–the course to help you on your journey to becoming a Google for Education Certified Trainer!
Becoming a Google Certified Trainer was one of the best decisions I ever made, and it transformed my learning and my career! This self-paced, e-course includes EVERYTHING you need to know to pass the Trainer Skills Assessment AND complete the application requirements, including:
– 30+ Video Lessons (including the archive)
– Private Google+ Community
– The Ultimate Google Certified Trainer Planner and Check List
– VIP BONUSES!
– Tips & Tricks
– and much more!
Visit BecomeAGoogleTrainer.com for all of the details and to enroll (VIP will NOT open until November 10th!)
*Please note: This course does NOT prepare you for Google Certified Educator Level 1 and 2.
Ask questions or share your feedback
- Comment on the shownotes below
- Email feedback@GoogleTeacherTribe.com (audio files welcome)
Please Connect with Us
- Check out DitchThatTextbook.com by Matt Miller
- Check out ShakeUpLearning.com by Kasey Bell
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes.
- Follow @jmattmiller
- Follow @ShakeUpLearning
- Follow @GTeacherTribe