Google News and Updates
- Emoji Reaction Project: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/emoji-reaction-project/nbjapmadmiipljnnpmejpdldjlfcmbpo?hl=en-US
- Camera (Take a snapshot) is back!
- Search within a Google Drive Folder
- New devices and more: what’s in store for the Google Assistant this year
Google Hangouts bring conversations to life with photos, emoji, and even group video calls for free. Connect with friends across computers, Android, and Apple devices.
In schools, users must be 13+ or a Teacher can lead.
What can you do with Google Hangouts?
- Connect with another class to share ideas and work collaboratively
- Find a guest speaker to talk to your students
- Go on virtual field trips
- Attend events
- Do the announcements
- Virtual book club
- Student presentations
- Guest speakers
Google Plus communities to find people/places to call:
- Google Plus community: Mystery Location Calls
- Google Plus community: Google Hangouts in Education
- Google Plus community: Mystery Hangout
- Google Plus community: Educators on Google Plus
- Google Plus community: Google Connected Classrooms
- Mystery Location Call roles (doc by Jo-Ann Fox)
Things to consider:
- Whole group call? Break into smaller groups? Pairs? Individuals?
- Time zone … go north/south to avoid large time zone shifts.
- Do a practice call ahead of time to check audio/video.
- Let student passion/curiosity rule whenever possible!
- Student-led video calls are often the best experience for everyone (even if it feels like chaos or like you don’t have control).
- Do a debrief afterward.
- Classroom video calls. You can do this. Here’s how.
- About Mystery Skypes/Hangouts and why we need more
Google Teacher Tribe Mailbag
In honor of our 1-year anniversary, we’d like to turn the podcast (episode 39) over to you! Leave us a message with your best Google tips, tricks, and ideas! (2-minute max.) Don’t forget your name and location, too.
- Libby Knaggs (Ingram, TX) – Used Page Marker extension and loved it!
- Jennifer Portilla (Longwood, FL) – How can I not show new students to Google Classroom all the previously posted content?
On The Blogs
- Matt – Google Chrome extensions galore! 50+ for the classroom
- Kasey – Student-Created Vision Boards with Google Slides AND a BIG announcement coming!
Ask questions or share your feedback
- Comment on the shownotes below
- Email feedback@GoogleTeacherTribe.com (audio files welcome)
Please Connect with Us
- Check out DitchThatTextbook.com by Matt Miller
- Check out ShakeUpLearning.com by Kasey Bell
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes.
- Follow @jmattmiller
- Follow @ShakeUpLearning
- Follow @GTeacherTribe